Friday, October 1, 2010

Greetings, Fellow Truth-Seekers

I imagine a few of you might be somewhat surprised to see my writing posted here on the Internet, or "World Wide Web," as some of you apparently call it; let me assure you, first and foremost, that it is in fact I, Roscoe Willis, legendary composer, theorist, lecturer, teacher, guru of various eastern philosophies, and personal fitness expert, that is writing this article.  About six months ago, I happened to meet a strapping young musicologist and long-time admirer by the name of Edward MacMillan, who was so nice as to drop by my East Village loft for a cup of Himalayan Tea and an interview for Contemporary Sounds.
The Loft


Normally, I tend to be leery of these journalist types; more often than not they take all the subtlety out of what I say and replace it with one-line sound bites.  I still recall a particularly nasty incident with Gramophone back in '85, where somehow they had me quoted as saying I wished my next piece could involve an SDI rocket and President Reagan's face.  I won't deny having said that, but it made more sense in the context of the conversation we were having, and there may also have been a glass or two too many of '82 Pinot Noir Burgundy involved.
I regret nothing
At any rate, Mr. MacMillan brought with him a most interesting device, that is to say, his computer.  I am familiar with computers, of course, going back to my busy days as a visiting professor at Harvard/Princeton/Colombia/UCLA back in the 60's.
A real computer
I even specialized in electo-acoustic music for a brief three week period in 1968, before realizing it lacked the emotional consequentiality and political relevance I craved in those heated political times.  I needn't mention my groundbreaking stint at IRCAM twelve years later when I was invited by Boulez himself -- or rather, when Boulez was able to entice me myself to come visit.

But I digress.  During his visit, Mr. MacMillan introduced me to the concept of the web-log; at first, I was skeptical of its value; he showed me what that unctuous little brat John Adams had put together in his ridiculously titled "Hell Mouth" -- pure self-promotion and empty noise, like everything the man has done for the last thirty years.  I reminded him that I do, to the contrary, still have my integrity.

This man has no soul
Nevertheless, as I considered the matter further, I realized it could actually be an excellent opportunity to share some of the knowledge and wisdom that I have accumulated over the eighty-year course of my career as a composer and musician in general -- not to mention the knowledge and wisdom that I was innately blessed with, or rather that I would consider myself blessed with if I happened to believe in some sort of unifying creative spirit, which I am in no way sure that I do. Perhaps I might take the time to comment on contemporary musicians and musical trends as well if it appears to be worth my time.  So frequently these days, I'm afraid, it simply is not.

As I do not own a personal computer of my own, I will produce these articles either in handwriting or via my typewriter, and Mr. MacMillan has generously offered to post them on the Internet.
My trusty typewriter
I have also given him permission to post his own thoughts with the firm stipulation that they maintain a strictly complementary role in the proceedings.  It is my sincerest hope that those who come to read these words will gain a greater sense of the power and beauty of Music -- my own, and perhaps that of others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment